My Temple Tour to Kumaran Kundram !!

Jai Sriman Narayana !!


My trip to Chennai in the month of February, 2011 was an unexpected holiday.  I had six days to be there in Chennai.  I put it in my mind that, I was not going back home without making the maximum use of the trip.  So I took the details of the temple nearest to my location.  As I am going to be alone throughout my trip, I was not ready to take any long trips.  In the first five days, I had to rush here and there to finish my official work, temple visits (G.S.T.Road and Nanganallur)  and including stay with my in-laws.   One day exclusively for window shopping at Ranganathan Street,  shopping at Pothys and good time  in consuming tender coconut juices ( I think two or three). 


As soon as I landed in Chennai Airport, I called my Mom and Mom-in-Law to inform them that I had reached safely.  As I  reached untimely, my bro-in-law was present at the Airport.  At home, My Mom-in-Law handed me with her special Decoction Coffee.  Wow !! It was great and got out of jetlag in a second. Though she insisted me to get some sleep, I was not at all ready for it.  The next thing I wanted to do was to get into my apartment  which was kept locked for more than six months.   After lunch I left to my apartment in our family driver's cab.  He was a middle aged man in his 50's humble, honest , disciplined and well natured.  He is the one who always follow us everywhere in Chennai and knew the entire family and their homes.  'Babu sir, Nanganallur pokanam, approm Kovil', 'Sari Madam, Amma veettukku thaney...'  this is how we communicate with each other.   The entire week, driver sab assisted me in finishing my work at ease.  The first thing I wanted to inform my Mom-in-Law was about the temple visits.  Unfortunately, she was not well to accompany me.  I decided  to go with our driver sab and informed him to come to our apartment at 6.30 AM.  Our driver sab was always reliable, punctual and not  a rash driver at all.  This is why we liked  this man.(contact number will be provided at request)


Sthalapuranam 


Presiding Deity : Lord Subramanya
Theertham - Kumara Theertham
Sannidhis - Lord Ganesha, Navagraha, Goddess Kali, Sarabeshwar at the foot of the hill


On half way through the steps, after climbing up 30/40  stairs  the Sannidhi of  Meenakshi Sundareshwar Temple is present at the left.  In this temple Lord Shiva is worshipped in the form of  a Linga and there are sannidhis of Lord Ganesha, Lord Nataraja with Goddess Meenakshi and Lord Subramanya with Valli and Deivayanai.  As I Climbed through few more steps, (nearly 30 steps)  it lead to  the Abode of Lord Subramnya at the hilltop.
 

Kumaran Kundram at Chrompet located in the suburb of Chennai from the bustling crowd of  the main road.  This temple is situated on the hilltop, which was spotted by Kanchi Mahaswamigal while his camping at Chrompet in the year 1958.  The hilltop where the Abode of Lord Subramanya existed was known as Bangala Malai in earlier times.  Kanchi Mahaswamigal prophesied that the hilltop would attain spiritual importance and would  be known as the Abode of Lord Subramanya in future.  As predicted by the Karunyamurthi - Kanchi Mahaswamigal, the temple was built atop the hillock.  While clearing the hillock the labourers came across a 'Vel - spear' and started to worship the same.  Later, the idol of Lord Subramanya  was consecrated in the year 1979 by  Sri Jayendra Swamigal.  The steps to the hilltop were also constructed to facilitate the devotees to have dharshan of the Lord without any hassels.


Jai Sriman Narayana !!

No comments: