Srimad Devi Bhagavatham !! The glories of Goddess Sri Gayatri !!

Jai Sriman Narayana !!
 
 
 

Jai Ambey Ma !!
 


 
Srimad Devi Bhagavatham – 12th Skandham – Chapter III describes the Kavacham of S’rî Gâyatrî Devî.

 
 

Lord Sriman Narayana narrates to Maharishi Narada about the glories of Kavacham and the devoutness acquired through the worship of S’rî Gâyatrî Devî.  The piousness acquired by reciting Gâyatrî-Kavacha destroys the sins of worshipper, fulfil all the desires and provides ‘Salvation’.
 
 

Lord Sriman Narayana explains the Rishis and Chhadhas of Gâyatrî-Kavacham.  The Rishis are: Lord Brahma, Lord Vishnu and Lord Maheshwara.  The Chhadhas are: Rig, Yajur, Sama, and Atharva Vedas. The Devatha is Paramâ Kalâ Gâyatrî of the nature of Brahmâ.  In Gâyatrî Maha Mantra “Tat” is the Beejakshara, “Bharga” is S’akti and “Dhîyah” is the Kîlakam, application of the above in accurate manner would lead to Liberation.
 
 


Lord Sriman Narayana continued to explain the Dhyânam of Gâyatrî Maha Mantra which is capable to provide boons to fulfil the desires of worshipper.  Goddess Gâyatrî Devî has five faces with the color of White, Pearl, Vidruma, Golden and Nîlakântamani respectively.  She has three eyes on each faces; her head is beautifully decorated with the dazzling crown of precious gems along with the beaming presence of Moon.  She has ten hands, each of them holding Lotus, dice, Conch, Noose, skull etc.. and with Abhaya Hastha. 

 

The meaning of S’rî Gâyatrî Kavacha recitals are as follows:
 
 
 
Let Gâyatrî Devî protect my front; Let Sâvitrî Devî protect my right; Let Sandhyâ Devî protect my back and Devî Sarasvatî protect my left. Let my Mother Pârvatî Devî protect my quarters.  Let Jalas'âyinî protect the southeast; Yâtudhâna Bhayankarî protect my South-west; Pavamânavilâsinî protect my north-west; Rudrarûpinî Rudrânî protect my north-east. Let Brahmânî protect my top and Vaisnavî protect my nether regions.  The word “Tat” signifies - Let  Devi Gâyatrî protect my legs; “Savituh” signifies - Let  Devi Gâyatrî protect my Knees; “Varenyam,” signifies - Let  Devi Gâyatrî protect my Loins; “Bhargah,” signifies - Let the Devi Gâyatrî protect my Navel,  “Devasya” signifies - Let  Devi Gâyatrî protect my Heart; “Dhîmahî” signifies - Let Devi Gâyatrî protect my Neck; “Dhîyah,” signifies - Let  Devi Gâyatrî protect my Eyes; “Yah,” signifies - Let  Devi Gâyatrî protect my Forehead; “Nah” signifies - Let Devi Gâyatrî  protect my Head; and “Prachodayât” signifies - Let  Devi Gâyatrî protect the tuft on the crown of my head.   The “Tat” of the twenty four syllabled Gâyatrî Maha Mantra protect my Head, “Sa,” protect my Forehead; “Vi” protect my Eyes; “Tu” my Cheeks; “Va,” protect my Nostrils; “Re,” protect my Mouth;“ni” protect my Upper Lip; “Yah” protect my Lower Lip; “Bha” protect my Face; “rgo,” protect my Cheeks; “De,” protect my Throat; “Va” protect my Shoulders; “Sya” protect my Right Hand; “Dhi” protect my Navel; “ma,” protect my Heart, “Hi,” protect my Stomach; “Dhî,” protect my Navel; “Yo” protect my Loins; “Yo”, protect my Anus; “nah,” protect my Thighs, “Pra,” protect  my Knees; “Cho” protect my Lower parts of Leg, “Da” protect my Heels; “Yâ” protect my Legs; and let “At” protect me from All sides.

 


Lord Sriman Narayana continued, the divine Kavacha of the Devî Gâyatrî can eradicate all the obstructions and evils; it is capable to grant 64 forms of Knowledge (art forms) to the worshipper and liberation.  Moreover, whoever reads or listens to the glories of Devî Gâyatrî Kavacha attains the pieities of one thousand ‘Go Dhanam’ (attains the merit of 1000 cows given as alms).
 
 

Thus, here ends the description on Kavacha of S’rîGâyatrî Devî in the Mahâpurânam S’rîmad Devî Bhâgavatam - Third Chapter in Twelfth Skandha composed by Maharsi Veda Vyâsa.
 
 

Jai Ambey Ma !!
 
 
 
Jai Sriman Narayana !!

No comments: