Jai Sriman Narayana !!
Jaya Jaya Sankara Hara Hara Sankara !!
Chidambaram (Chith+Ambaram = The Sky of Consciousness)/ Mukthisthalam/Pancha Boothasthalam/ Booloka Kailasam/ Thiruperumpuliyur Kshetram is one of the 275 Thevara Shivasthalam of Lord Shiva located in Chidambaram, Cuddalore District, Tamil Nadu. This is one of the oldest temples of Lord Shiva occupies 40 acres of vast land with exquisite architectural and stunning mural works. It has 4 majestic Rajagopuram embellished with marvelous murals of deities and sages engraved on it. This enormous temple was built during the 11th century by The Kings of Chola Dynasty and it has five wide circumambulatory paths surrounded by stone wall. The Kings of Pallava, Chera and Vijayanagara also have made abundance of contributions to this temple.
Presiding deity – Kanakasaba – Saba Nayakar/Ponambala Koothan/Thillai Koothan Thirumoolattanam – Thirumoolanathar/Moolattaneswarar with his consort Goddess Sri Sivakami/Shivakama Sundari (Kanaka Saba), Thirumoolattanam – Umaiammai
Theertham – Shivangagai Theertham, Paramananda Koopam, Kuyya Theertham, Puli Madu, Vygrapadha Theertham, Anantha Theertham, Nagaseri Theertham, Brahma Theertham, Shivambikai Theertham, Thiruparkadal.
Mangalasasanam – Thirunavukkarasar, Thiru Gnana Sambandhar, Sundarar, Manikkavasagar,
These prominent Shivaite Saints popularly known as Samayakkuravarkal – Thirunavukkarasar, Thiru Gnana Sambandhar, Sundarar and Manikkavasagar entered into the temple premise through the 4 different entrances located in West, South, North and East respectively. These entrances are admirably known as the main entrance to the temple Rajagopurams.
Worshipped by – Sage Patanjali and his disciple Sage Vyagrapadhar, Sri Adi Sankara
· This is one of the Pancha Bootha Sthalam of Lord Shiva represents Sky. The others are Vayu Lingam – Sri Kalahastheeswara at Kalahasthi, Prthvi Lingam – Sri Ekambaranathar at Kanchipuram, Appu Lingam – Sri Jambukeshwara at Thiruvanaikka and Agni Lingam – Sri Arunachaleswara at Thiruvannamalai.
· This is one of the Pancha Sabha Kshetram of Lord Shiva represent ‘Kanaka Sabha’. The others are Thiruvalangadu – Ratna Sabha, Madurai – Rajatha Sabha, Thirunelveli – Thamra Sabha and Thirukutralam – Chitra Sabha
· There are 5 Sabhas located within the premise of this temple. They are Chit Sabha (Chitrambalam) where Lord Nataraja performed his cosmic dance form of Ananda Thandava – The Dance of Eternal Bliss along with his consort Goddess Sri Sivakami, Kanaka Sabha (Ponnambalam) located just before the Chit Sabha where worship of Spatika Linga and daily rituals are conducted, Raja Sabha also known as Ayiramkal Mandapam where Lord Nataraja gives dharshan during the auspicious days in the month of Ani and Markazhi from this glorious hall situated here and its symbolizes Yogic Chakra – Sahasrararam/Sahasra Chakra the state of divine union with the Shiva Shakthi form of Lord, Deva Sabha also known as (Perambalam) houses Lord Somaskandha, Lord Ganesha, Lord Chandikeshwara, Goddess Shivananda Nayaki and Lord Muruga. Last but not the least Nirthya Sabha is one of the marvelous Hall where the idol Urdha Thadava of Lord Nataraja can be seen. Lord Nataraja and Goddess Parvati performed cosmic dance and Lord Nataraja won over his consort, in this way Lord established his supremacy over Goddess Sri Parvathy.
· This is one of the Adhara Sthalam of Lord Shiva represent ‘ Hrudaya Sthalam’
· This is one of the prominent temples of Goddess Sri Parvati personifies as Iccha Shakthi, Gnana Shakthi and Kriya Shakthi
· Thirumoolanathar/Moolattaneswarar Linga positioned in this outstanding Thirumoolattana Shivasthalam embraces the vibrant energies of All the Lingas after midnight.
· In this temple Lord Shiva can be seen in three forms. Lord Nataraja in his cosmic dance form, Lord Chandramouleeswara as Crystal Linga and Lord in his formless nature where a sequence of 51 golden Vilva (Bael) leaves hanging on an empty space traditionally known as Chidambara Rahasyam. As mentioned earlier Lord Shiva represent the Sky in this temple proves He is omnipresent, omnipotent and omniscient.
· The structural designs of this temple are one of the most astonishing factors with the resemblance to the human body and its subtleties. This temple located on the center point of world’s magnetic equator. The five walls to the temple represent Annamaya Kosa, Pranamaya Kosa, Manonmaya Kosa, Vignana Maya Kosa and the innermost is Ananda Maya Kosa. The 9 gateways represent the 9 orifices (Nava Dwaras) in human body. The Chit Sabhai, the Sanctum Sanctorum symbolizes heart and the five flights of steps to it represent the ‘Panchakshara Mantra’. The four magnificent pillars which support the Chit Sabha stand for four Vedas such as Rig, Yajur, Sama, Atharva Vedas respectively. The Ponnambalam is supported by 28 pillars represents the 28 methodologies of Shaiva Agama worship. The roof is supported by 64 beams embodies the 64 Art forms. The several cross beams in between them symbolizes innumerable blood vessels in the human body. The roof has been laid by 21,600 golden tiles and each carries the Shivayanamah inscribed on it stands for the breaths and the 72,000 golden nails represents the veins in human body. The 9 Kalasas represents 9 forms of energies. The six pillars of Ardha Mandapa represents 6 Sastras and the hall next to it has 18pillars symbolizes the 18 Puranas.
Sthalavruksham – Tillaivanam
Sannidhis – Lord Ganesha, Lord Subramanya with his consort Goddesses Sri Valli & Deivayanai, Thiruchithrakoodam Sri Govindaraja Perumal, Adhimoolanathar with his consort Goddess Umaiyammai worshipped by Sage Patanjali and Sage Vyagrapadhar, 63 Nayanmars, Kalpavruksha,
Festivals – Arudra Darisanam, Ani Vizha, Markazhi Thiruvathirai Vizha, Masi festival, Chithirai Thiruvonam, Ani Thirumanjanam & Avani Festival, Maha Shivaratri, Car Festival, Natyanjali Festival.
The legend has that Sage Patanjali and his disciple Sage Vyagrapadha arrived on this sacred land of Tillaivanam and found a self-manifested Linga in a pond full of lotus flowers. They underwent severe austerities and worshipped Lord. Lord Shiva was pleased at the devotion of Sages and performed Ananda Thandava (Dance of eternal Bliss) as desired by them. They earnestly prayed to Lord to remain in the blissful dance form on this sacred land and attained liberation.
The Spatika Linga – Lord Chandramouliswara carries major part of the daily rituals. Lord Shiva while performing his blissful dance form Ananda Thandava, the crescent (Lord Chandra) shaped moon fallen on the Earth and turned out a Spatika Linga. The sacred bath to Spatika Linga is performed 6 times a day.
Anand Thadava Posture symbolizes:
The demon under Lord's feet represents Lord as destroyer of Ignorance/Ego
The Fire in His hand signifies Destroyer of Evil Forces
The raised hands – Abhaya Hastha – Savior of life
The radiance (Aura) behind Lord reveals the perpetual motion of the Universe
The drum beats represents the origin of ‘Om’ Pranava Manthra (Origin of Sounds)
The left, right and the eye on forehead represents Lord Sun, Lord Moon and Wisdom/Knowledge/Fire respectively.
The earrings on both the ears of Lord represent the union of man and woman – The inseparable form of Lord as Shiva Shakthi. The right ear and left ear embellished with Makara Kundalam and Stri Kundalam denotes the indivisible form of Lord.
The crescent shaped Lord Chandra on his matted hair locks symbolizes the perfect benevolence and splendor.
The matted hair locks and Goddess Ganga signifies the absolute Energy and perpetuity of life in this Universe.
This temple remains open from 6.00 AM to 12.00 PM in the morning and 5.00 PM to 10.00 PM in the evenings.
Jaya Jaya Sankara Hara Hara Sankara !!
Jai Sriman Narayana !!